• show-popup

Shares 0

Wen Haircare - WEN Massive Hair Loss!!!!

Company Wen Haircare
Product / Service Fig Cleansing Conditioner
Location Washington, District Of Columbia
Category Cosmetics and Toiletries
Views 4250

I had long, thick, blonde wavy hair halfway down my back and all one length (no layers). My Crowning glory! Started using WEN in July 2011 because it was organic and natural and I'm ecology-minded and trying to live a greener lifestyle. My hair was beautiful and thick and actually became thicker as I aged, instead of thinning as so many women experience. I used the WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner in July and the first time I applied it, I was aware of an intense burning on my scalp and left it on my head for a shorter time than the instructional video advised. I saw where Menthol was an ingredient and because I saw no warning or caution on label re: burning sensation , I continued to use the product. I used the WEN from July 2011 to mid September 2011. During this time, the hair loss after combing out from shampooing was more than I've ever had. I have always been very grateful that I never lost even the minimal amount of hair that is to naturally be expected from brushing and shampooing.

Then in late September, while shampooing with WEN, I noticed the water in my shower had risen to my ankles. I thought the drain must be closed. I was horrified when I reached down and pulled a handfull of hair that was clogging the drain. I had to pull the hair from the drain twice during this shower. I have been losing hair, non-stop ever since. It sounds gross but I have a quart size baggie full of solid clumps of my hair that I've pulled from the shower drain, and this does not include what I collect from my brush, clothing, bedding, dryer vent, EVERYWHERE!!! Today I found a 1 inch bald spot on the upper left crown of my head and there doesn't appear to be any new hair growing in. My scalp has a scaly layer of skin, similar to dandruff but I've never in my life had any such problem. I am traumatized and in utter despair.

I have filed a report with the FDA and spoken with WEN Reps who tell me they are so sorry to hear of my problem but they have no medical experts on staff to advise me how to rectify. I was laid-off from my job with the SD School District in June and my medical insurance expired the end of September. But I did have an annual complete physical and blood work-up in mid September and there is no medical cause for the hair loss. I'm a healthy, vegetarian of 17 years who uses protein supplements and vitamains, exercise regularly and have no allergies. My physiological age is 20 years younger than actual age. No smoking, drinking, drugs. It is such a sudden change that it can easily be traced back to what I was doing differently between July and September AND THAT IS USING WEN FIG CLEANSING CONDITIONER! It is the WEN! Please be alarmed and aware, Everybody, that there is without a doubt, MASSIVE AND ONGOING hair loss caused by WEN. I DON'TKNOW WHAT TO DO AND Am an EMOTIONAL WRECK. I am so concerned that many other women will be sucked in by the Celebrity Informercials of beautiful, shining hair and find themselves bald within 6 months. Get the word out! Contact the FDA at 800-332-1088 or file a complaint on the FDA website. Please let me hear of your own experiences. There is power in numbers. All my friends tell me to get a good attorney but all I'm concerned with is finding out how to stop the hair loss and hopefully re-grow what I've lost. At this rate, I will be bald in another month.

Catherine 30b3669

Comments (109) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 109 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Jan 27
I just used the product 3x and i have a golf ball size bald spot on top of my head. How do i go about suing WEN for this? do i need to see a doctor first? Please help! :cry
Reply to Angie

Feb 05  from Elmont, New York
The very fact that you used it only 3 times and have a golf size bald spot speaks volumes of what the product is capable of doing to a head of hair. Hair is so important to us as women, it is our crowning glory. I used Wen for 3 years, kept losing hair and did not think at all it could be the Wen!! I went to Dr., blood tests, thinking it had to be something else. One day I went back to my Nick Chavez. Using Wen I had handfuls of hair coming out in the shower, using Nick I had a pinky of hair. This was alarming and I was extremely angry.
I agree with you, a class action law suit is in order, I am researching for one.
I stopped using Wen a couple of months ago, and so far, my hair loss seems to be permanent, it looks terrible. I used to have a thick head of hair!! I am going to try the apple cider vinegar rinse mentioned here and see it it helps at all.

Dec 28, 2013  from Jesup, Georgia
well I have been wondering if that was my problem or not that is why i came on here looking now I am sure that I am loosing my hair because of WEN hair care products so I will be canceling mine now and I also have always had very thick hair and in the past two months it has gotten so much thinner and I am not happy about it, so I guess now I need to call WEN and let them know how pissed I am.
Reply to rusty

Dec 25, 2013
Wen Hair Loss

Wen made my hair fall out.
I found out why.
My hair is growing back.
My hairline is filling in.
(after 2 years of hair loss, I started to have Sir Isaac Newton's hairline.)

Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Monistat (yes- yeast cream)
with
2 tablespoons of Water

Add to scalp ( non greasy) with a dye applicator bottle. Gently it in where there might be any residue. Leave it on til next shampoo. (2-3 days for my long hair at age 49). It is starting to look lustrous again and not all droopy and weird.

I do not yet know the frequency of maintinance.
I am posting this as a public service.

Stop the shedding. My hair slowed shedding in the first application and now is normal 25 hairs per wash. It was coming out in clumps up to 200 or more hairs each time. Wen made my hair fall out.
I found out why.
My hair is growing back.
My hairline is filling in.
(after 2 years of hair loss, I started to have Sir Isaac Newton's hairline.)

The reason why is because it wasn't cleaning and the yeast that lives on the scalp was proliferating and creating loss etc.   Yeast consumes sebum to love. It wasn't washing the sebum away

Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Monistat  (yes- yeast cream)
with ... Show more
Reply to Laura

Laura,
Thank you for this post, yeast on the head makes so much sense, the body has to get rid of it somehow! Thank you for the hope that it does get better. Can you say how long will you use the monistat protocol? This Wen has been a nightmare for me, I had beautiful, thick, long hair and now it is thin and wimpy. I can see my scalp. I cry. I do not want people to see me. I bought hair pieces that I attach to the back of my head to give that old familiar full look. What makes me so angry is that Wen does not address this hair loss at all. I want to scream it from the roof tops. How would one of those QVC hosts like it if their hair started falling out? It is easy to see that on the QVC website, Wen has his people posting comments invalidating those who have lost hair. Wait until it happens to them. I am sorry I ever fell for the hype. Wen is dishonorable.

Nov 01, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
This SOB Chaz wen is # 1 fraud. I used only one packet but its extremely frustating to note that this Wen care really sucks. Everyday hair keeps falling after use. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. ITS WILL ONLY GIVE YOU BALDNESS. After couple of days using I HAVE COMPLETELY STOOPPED AND WANTED TO RETURN THE FRAUD PRODUCT. This SOB wen care charged my credit card AGAIN WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION & despite of the fact that I NEVER PLACED ANY ORDER SECOND TIME. NOW I AM APPROACHING SMALL CLAIM COURT AND WILL RECOVER ALL THE LOSSES FROM THIS FRAUD # 1 WEN CARE PRODUCT BY SUIING.
Reply to Philip

Oct 22, 2013
Catherine I absolutely feel your pain. I also started using Wen Almond Mint shampoo about a year ago. A few months back I started to loose my hair and by now I have very little hair left in my hear. It is soooooooooo painful. Like you I went to the Dr. for a myriad of tests and everything came negative for a reason for hair loss. I don't take medications, only vitamins and I am also in great health, and like you I had a beautiful head of hair, and like you I trusted this shampoo to be good for me. What are we going to do? :cry :cry :cry
Reply to Anonymous

Aug 27, 2013  from Troy, Michigan
Yes I used wen some time ago,(2yrs ago) I HAD long,thick, curly blonde hair!! Not no more & losing more everyday!! I AM VERY ANGRY!!! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE WITH WEN!! WEN AM I GONNA GET MY HAIR BACK?? VERY ANGRY!!! PLEASE :cry DON'T USE THIS HAIR PRODUCTS!!! :cry :?
Reply to buckwheat

Hello buckwheat,
Did you get your hair back yet? I stopped Wen for a few months now and have not seen it come back yet. I am so angry, like you.I had long thick curly brown hair, God I miss it so.

Aug 27, 2013
Yep My Mother was already facing a fatal illness anyways and then she started this hair loss IT IS ABSOLUTELY ,UNEQUIVOCALLY,WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT.WENS PRODUCT THAT CAUSED IT. sHE IS DEVASTATED AND IT HAS MADE A DIFFICULT SITUATION LIVING WITH A HORRIBLE DISEASE (NOT CANCER)MUCH WORSE. YOU SEE I AM A LEUKEMIA SURVIVOR SO WHEN YOUR HAIR FALLS OUT EVEN AS A MAN YOU KNOW PEOPLE KNOW SOMETHING IS WRONG.
WATCHING MY MOTHER SOB AND FEEL POWERLESS AND WEN DOESN'T CARE. CHAZ IS A GOOD GUY AND GENUINELY WANTED TO FORMULATE NATURAL EFFECTIVE AND TRANSFORMATIVE PRODUCTS. HE IS A SALON GUY NOT A MARKETING FULFILLMENT AND LOGISTICS AND CS CALL CENTER PERSON.NOPE THATS GUTHY RENKER'S JOB THEY HAVE SOCIAL NETWORK MANAGERS MONITORING EVERY MENTION OF THEIR PRODUCT IN A NEGATIVE LIGHT. THEY QUICKLY HAVE THEIR TEAM GO TO THE PARTICULAR FORUM OR SOCIAL MEDIA SITES AND POSE AS "LEGIT CONSUMERS AND OPPOSE ANY NEGATIVE OVERTONES TOWARD THE COMPANY OR THEIR PRODUCT. tHEY ACTUALLY CANT HELP BUT BE OBVIOUS AND COMPLETELY TRY TO DISCREDIT OR EVEN RIDICULE AND BULLY THE PERSON STRICKEN BY THIS DAMAGING PRODUCT. My Mother is as honest as the day is long and was a complete sweetie as to how her issues not wanting to make willie nillie accusations ,but when she started seeing 100's of other customers complaining about horrible hair loss and rashy bumpy scaly and pussie legions and so she complained obviously it was like wildfire at that particular time and the tactics employed by GR are
... Show more
Reply to SocialSon

Aug 20, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
I'm a LA hair stylist and I've had 2 clients try Wen and they both experienced hair loss! Do not use WEN!! Talk to a professional to help you with you're hair needs.. :)
Reply to Hair by Megan Del Haro

Jul 08, 2013  from Vacaville, California
I too am having hair loss due to the fig, when I used other wen products did not have this problem. I have a gallon I need to return asap! Thanks for this post!
Reply to Anonymous

Jul 03, 2013  from Chicago, Illinois
I had the same issue. Clumps of hair! Mortified and not making the connection for a year I went to clarifying champion w tea tree oil added and a braggs apple cider vinegar with mother, as a rinse. Keep it in for 3/5 mins and rinse. My hair is growing back and no more clumps . Thanks for the FDA #. I will call good luck ,)
Reply to Leesee

Jun 20, 2013  from Gloversville, New York
In a matter of weeks, I lost handfuls of hair and now have a bald spot at the back/crown of my head. Went to my cosmetologist today, and she wanted to know what the *** I had done to my hair since my last visit? I went from having full, long, blonde hair to a bob, because my hair was so damaged.
Reply to Lori

Jun 18, 2013  from Anchorage, Alaska
I used wen sweet almond and the fig systems and started to loose my hair but did not think it could have ben the wen it was all natural and we were told it is safe for all hair types so I have not used it for over a year and I am still losing my hair. I had test done for everything and it always came back normal. now what do I do?? if anyone is out there please let us know what we can do to regrow our hair. I bought wen because Melissa gilbert has the same kind of hair I did the really thick really course red hair now my hair is like im a 90 year old woman not a woman of my age which is 46.
Reply to dani

May 03, 2013  from New York City, New York
I have really thick, wavy hair and lately it has become very dry and damaged looking (I color it). I usually let my hair dry naturally after I wash it because it's such a pain to blow-dry. It always poofs and frizzes when it dries. I've tried all kinds of deep conditioners and masks, and nothing seemed to work. I used the Shielo Smoothing Shampoo and the Shielo Conditioner and noticed immediately when I was combing it that the ends didn't feel brittle and my hair looked shiny. It actually dried curly instead of frizzy and is really bouncy! I love Shielo - and te smell is amazing!!!
Reply to Dorothy Nissi

May 03, 2013  from Long Beach, California
I have been using Wen for some months now and the more I use it the more hair is falling out! I'm now getting handfuls of hair every time I use the product. I went back to my previous brand and the hair loss is in smaller amounts. I will keep my old hair care and cancel WEN. :(
Reply to cwoodwardinca

Apr 28, 2013  from Dillsboro, Indiana
Wow..thank you all for posting. I was going to buy this. So glad I haven't yet and saw this first.
Reply to sandymeg123

Apr 27, 2013
I also had a similar experience of hair loss with the Wen products. I ordered my products online and was excited to start using them due to the celebrity endorsements by stars that I like. Well my hair would stream down my body and down the shower drain as I would shower. I was so freaked out! I shortened the time that I left the product in and still I was loosing hair at an alarming rate. I was talking to a coworker about it and was surprised to hear that she had the same issue with Wen! Both of us are black with decent hair for our ethnicity, but obviously Wen was NOT meant for us!
Reply to isiskdt

Apr 22, 2013
I am relieved to find that others are having similar problems after using WEN. Not that I am happy that others are losing hair, but relieved that I am not crazy, and I am experiencing a large amount of hair loss and now know that it is likely related to the WEN. I had a recent physical and all labs normal. no reason for the hair loss other than the change to WEN. I have just decided to stop WEN and see what happens.I'm sure this is a great product for many, but I guess not for me.
Reply to linda

Read next Wen Haircare complaint

sent my order back and the lady 9summer sais you...

i ordered on tv the kit of win i have ardered it several times from qvc i love it but due to my inco...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Wen Haircare.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug