Wen Haircare - WEN Massive Hair Loss!!!!

I had long, thick, blonde wavy hair halfway down my back and all one length (no layers). My Crowning glory! Started using WEN in July 2011 because it was organic and natural and I'm ecology-minded and trying to live a greener lifestyle. My hair was beautiful and thick and actually became thicker as I aged, instead of thinning as so many women experience. I used the WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner in July and the first time I applied it, I was aware of an intense burning on my scalp and left it on my head for a shorter time than the instructional video advised. I saw where Menthol was an ingredient and because I saw no warning or caution on label re: burning sensation , I continued to use the product. I used the WEN from July 2011 to mid September 2011. During this time, the hair loss after combing out from shampooing was more than I've ever had. I have always been very grateful that I never lost even the minimal amount of hair that is to naturally be expected from brushing and shampooing.

Then in late September, while shampooing with WEN, I noticed the water in my shower had risen to my ankles. I thought the drain must be closed. I was horrified when I reached down and pulled a handfull of hair that was clogging the drain. I had to pull the hair from the drain twice during this shower. I have been losing hair, non-stop ever since. It sounds gross but I have a quart size baggie full of solid clumps of my hair that I've pulled from the shower drain, and this does not include what I collect from my brush, clothing, bedding, dryer vent, EVERYWHERE!!! Today I found a 1 inch bald spot on the upper left crown of my head and there doesn't appear to be any new hair growing in. My scalp has a scaly layer of skin, similar to dandruff but I've never in my life had any such problem. I am traumatized and in utter despair.

I have filed a report with the FDA and spoken with WEN Reps who tell me they are so sorry to hear of my problem but they have no medical experts on staff to advise me how to rectify. I was laid-off from my job with the SD School District in June and my medical insurance expired the end of September. But I did have an annual complete physical and blood work-up in mid September and there is no medical cause for the hair loss. I'm a healthy, vegetarian of 17 years who uses protein supplements and vitamains, exercise regularly and have no allergies. My physiological age is 20 years younger than actual age. No smoking, drinking, drugs. It is such a sudden change that it can easily be traced back to what I was doing differently between July and September AND THAT IS USING WEN FIG CLEANSING CONDITIONER! It is the WEN! Please be alarmed and aware, Everybody, that there is without a doubt, MASSIVE AND ONGOING hair loss caused by WEN. I DON'TKNOW WHAT TO DO AND Am an EMOTIONAL WRECK. I am so concerned that many other women will be sucked in by the Celebrity Informercials of beautiful, shining hair and find themselves bald within 6 months. Get the word out! Contact the FDA at 800-332-1088 or file a complaint on the FDA website. Please let me hear of your own experiences. There is power in numbers. All my friends tell me to get a good attorney but all I'm concerned with is finding out how to stop the hair loss and hopefully re-grow what I've lost. At this rate, I will be bald in another month.

Catherine

Helpful? 156 Yes 156 294 No 294
Had the same issue 89 Yes 89
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 07 #1090439

Hi my name is Crystal, like you I have experienced the same issues. It started by my washing hair and hand full of clumps of hair in my hands, I had to empty the drain 3-4 times. It was in my towels ,on my cloths, on my pillow, ect. My hair fell out in my combs, my brushes. I was afraid to comb my hair. I went to every kind of Doctor there was, I even went to my endocrinologist to see if my thyroid was still working, all my blood work came out fine. My medication, stress, my weight had nothing to do with it. There could only be on reason WEN. As soon as I stopped using it my hair stopped falling out. I call the FDA, I call wen. I am very upset about this. I lost a lot of hair. I have regrowth but I have read on face book that there are plenty of women that have regrowth but their hair will not grow back in. I am scared about this. I just hope something can be done. Crystal from Buffalo N.Y.

Jan 05 #1088943

My whole family of girls, all having problems. My poor mom the worst. She has been the longest Wen user. Doctors were not sure maybe this, maybe that ....all speculation. She has been a Wen user forever. My 8 yr old thin hair
I have used it on her since she was three who would have known.
Devastated
Michele

Jan 04 #1088292

I used it well I am actually still using it..I thought the loss of hair was from something else..guess I'll stop..It did start to take the color out of my hair as well but I thought it was so something else as well so I just dyed it..Dang-

Jan 03 #1088150

Thank you, thank you , thank you! I was just about to order the Wen special that was advertised on TV but thought I would look it up on the internet first. Thank goodness I did! Can't something be done about this false advertising? Most important is what can be done to repair the damage to the hair?

Dec 27, 2015 #1084356

Myself,daughter and granddaughter have suffered hair loss after using Wen products

Dec 22, 2015 #1082546

I used the Wen product and notice the hair loss the first time so I cancel the reorder. Since i still had several bottles I thought I would give it another try and the same thing happen. After about a year I still have a bottle and 3/4 bottle and some trial size in my order. I don't know what to do with the product due this situation.

Dec 22, 2015 #1082576

Use it as a lotion to shave your legs - the hair loss and weakening would be good for that.

Dec 20, 2015 #1081571

I also have experienced hair loss, my scalp is very irritated and it seems as though I have an "outside head ache". I have also noticed a couple of bumps on my scalp that I never had before I used the shampoo.

Dec 22, 2015 #1082578

It causes a fungus to grow because it keeps the scalp is left too moist. Try a clarifying shampoo and some zinc supplements until the condition clears up. If it doesn't, see a doctor or dermatologist.

Dec 16, 2015 #1079878

I have the same problem. Although my hair has fallen out some my scalp is very scaly. My daughter used it once and she has long hair and she hated the way her hair felt. It makes my hair greasy. I'm going back to my old shampoo.

Dec 16, 2015 #1079737

After using Wen I experienced hair loss and scalp bumps amd itching and my daughter experienced the same problems.

Sep 18, 2015 #1035373

I have been using Wen Fig also. I have only had three shampoos but have also experienced much hair loss during showering. My hair is extremely short and has been getting shorter since using this product. I have even noticed bald spots that I didn't have before. I need help. I don't know what to do. It was supposed to help my hair improve it's quality.

trixi

Jul 14, 2015 #1007686 Walnutport, Pennsylvania

Other then stop using wen wat can I do bout my hair loss and scalp burn spots

loka559

Apr 09, 2015 #969684 Hanford, California

My name is Maritza moncada from Hanford can. Age 23,,THANKS ALOT WEN MY HAIR AND MY FRIENDS HAIR IS FALLING OUT EVEN AFTER I STOPPED USING THIS LAME *** PRODUCT WHO DID EXACTLY NOTHING BUT THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT WAS PROMISED.. THANKS ALOT CHAZ DEAN...***..I WILL GO ON SUING UR *** . *** FRAUD

Jmcmahon

Apr 03, 2015 #967357 California, United States

I'm only 24 years old and I had very thick beautiful natural curls after wen my curls were gone and I lost 50% thickness and I'm still listing hair after a week off of it

May 15, 2015 #984906

i have long blond curly hair was to my waist line .. At first wen was good I used all the almond products then after a month of use my head started to get very itchy . And my hair thinned . I stopped using this product. But to late it's been s month I've lost 4 inches in length and it's so thin it ties in nots . And is still falling out.. I'm devestated it took years to grow.. My pride and joy. I'm heart broken and at 51 I don't want to cut it but it's a mess.. So sad. I'm in Canada wish I could sue this company

Jan 23 #1099743

Hi Anonymous : ) my name is Lynn and I'm Canadian and a former WEN user, and I am suing. We can't join a class action with the women there (U.S.); but you can get a lawyer and sue them yourself. I have a lawyer and 5 minutes into my story he said I have a case. My hair is also to my waist : ) and there's nothing like the complement of "what beautiful hair you have", so I understand. In the meantime make lemonade! Try to have fun with what you have. I bought tattoo pen and let the kids draw on the sides of my head, also temporary tattoos are fun. I braid whats there with ribbons or leather strips to add a funky look, but it also gives me back some thickness. And always, always braid it before bed so you don't have to fight with the one big dreadlock lol. I used to be a hairstylist and I use the kind of brush they would use on the old style comb outs (remember? with the curlers?) this brush won't break your hair as much and it's pain free brushing as well. Hope this was helpful, lots of love Lynn. en-light-en@outlook.com

Mar 18, 2015 #960515 Corpus Christi, Texas

My 11 yr old used twice at my mom's house this past weekend and is now experiencing hair loss and now has a bald spot the size of a half dollar !! Mind you her hair has always been thick and healthy !

CP

Dec 06, 2014 #912141 New York, New York

how could you continue to use the product???

Momma Dukes

Nov 28, 2014 #907411 Mystic, Connecticut

Furious in Mystic Ct.!! As of November 27,2014 I have wanted to try the Wen products now for well over a couple years of coarse after seeing commercials and adds in the magazines of the women who say Its the best thing!! I am 45 years old, long straight auburn hair ,decided to give it a try. Worst mistake EVER!! The first time I used Wen my hair looked and felt wonderful, two days later washed my hair again with Wen let it naturally air dry within a few hours my hair looked as if I hadn't washed it in several days, Very Greasy, well needless to say the next day I rewashed my hair with the Wen and again a few hours later Greasy looking, so I decided to go back to my normal shampoo needless to say 2 days later I washed again with the Wen BIG MISTAKE!! After using Wen a handful of times only to have a family member say on Thanksgiving day Oh my you have a large bald spot! What I reply! I thought they were joking, as we went to look in the mirror to my horror Yes a large bald spot about 3 inches around in the back of my head! Ive got company at my house for Thanksgiving dinner and all I can think about is my bald spot!! Horriable!! WARNING to all interested in trying Wen DON'T!! I went to the dr. this morning so upset , now she is sending me to a dermatologist to try to help my hair grow back in that large bald spot! My 16 year old son took pictures and was so upset! I am not a spiteful person but I am going to go after Wen for destroying my hair!! Looking for attorney to... Show more

2 1 Reply

1-20 of 134 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.